Stocks Continue Rally, Nasdaq Hits 13-year High; Financials Break Out
Stocks in the US continued to move higher on the open following the strong rally seen on Tuesday. The rally was somewhat mixed as technology stocks led the broader markets higher pushing the Nasdaq composite up a robust 1.7%. Stronger than expected retail sales data, along with solid earnings from large cap banks have helped stocks regain some of their mojo.
Bank of America reported earnings $3.44 billion versus a net profit of $732 million for the fourth quarter of 2012. The bank reported a profit of $0.29, compared with the $0.26 a share expected by analysts. Revenue climbed 15% to $21.49 billion, compared with analysts’ expectation of $21.24 billion.
China Mobile (NYSE:CHL) received 1.2 million pre-orders for iPhone devices by this past Monday, indicating the level of demand for the product ahead of its sales launch by the carrier on Friday. Speaking in China, Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) CEO Tim Cook said that even without an official agreement with China Mobile, iPhone sales hit a record high in Greater China in Apple’s FQ1.
General Motors’ (NYSE:GM) shares rose after the carmaker said it would distribute a quarterly dividend for the first time since June 2008. The $0.30-a-share payout equates to a 3% annualized yield based on yesterday’s current market prices.
Financials (as reflected by the XLF ETF) made headway are poised to re-test the recent highs seen in the early part of January. With JPM, WFC and BAC all reporting solid earnings, financials are likely to continue to experience strong gains. Yields will eventually re-test the 3% level which should benefit banks as they borrow short term from the Fed and lend to consumers.
The XLF generated an inside day, which reflects the consolidation after Tuesday’s plunge. Momentum turned negative with the MACD (moving average convergence divergence index) printing in negative territory. The RSI edged higher printing near 58 which was the upper end of the neutral range.
- Government shutdown prompts trepidation to the capital markets 1 view
- Trading Outlook – GBP/CAD 1 view
- Enlighten 3 with Forge puts Greater Control of Dynamic Lighting in the Hands of Artists 1 view
- GBPUSD Weighed Down By Increasing UK Deficit 1 view
- Stocks flat, US Dollar declines following FOMC minutes 1 view
- Canadian dollar holds ground despite weak retail sales data 1 view
- PBTEEN UNVEILS ECO-CONSCIOUS CAPSULE COLLECTION WITH WORLD CHAMPION SURFER KELLY SLATER 1 view
- Softness Evident In US Manufacturing 1 view
- Detroit pensioners helped bankrupt the city: report 1 view
- Dow Surges Ahead of Fed Decision 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- A High Impact News Week 1 view
- Canadian Dollar Slips on Weak GDP 1 view
- SanDisk Unveils the World’s Highest Capacity microSDTM Card 1 view
- Dex Media and Yext Sign Agreement to Expand Small Business Internet Marketing Offerings 1 view
- Berry Genomics NextSeq CN500 Instrument and Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing Reagent Kit Receives Chinese FDA Premarket Clearance 1 view
- FOREX Watch: Global safe havens hold gains amid data 1 view
- Prudential Real Estate Investors Acquires 75 Percent Stake in Bella Terra Shopping Center in Huntington Beach, Calif. 1 view
- Aliyun Announces Global Partnership Program to Boost Public Cloud Services Worldwide 1 view
- Canadian Dollar Sinks to 1-month Low amid BOC Rate Decision 1 view
- USDX: Consumer confidence helps dollar pare losses as Fed decision looms 1 view