Strong Earnings Results Pushes Facebook to New All-time Highs
Despite calls from Fed Chair Janet Yellen that social media stock had values that could be considered overstretched, Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) knocked the cover off the ball on Wednesday while reporting second quarter earnings. The social media giant beat on both the top and bottom line and its stock price shot up in afterhours trading reflecting its strong quarterly financial performance.
The question for investors now is can the stock surpass $80. Facebook beat earnings with $2.91 billion and EPS of $0.42 per share, compared to estimates of $2.81 billion and EPS estimates of $0.32. Facebook posted robust ad revenue for the second quarter. Ad revenue increased 67% Y/Y to $2.68 billion, with mobile ad sales making up 62% of ad revenue. Payments revenue also rose 9% Y/Y to $234M.
Facebook said they will make efforts to accept more payments on its platform, following a question about Facebook’s Buy button and related payments tools. Sheryl Sandberg noted that the acquisition of video ad tech platform LiveRail will further Facebook’s ad network ambitions; the company just recently launched its mobile ad network. She also declares marketers are getting more creative with Facebook campaigns, comparing them to TV campaigns in the process.
Facebook will gap higher on the open as it is currently trading at 76 in the after hours market, up more than 5%. The new all-time high is a very bullish sign for the stock price. Momentum on the stock has turned positive as the MACD (moving average convergence divergence) index generated a buy signal.
This occurs when the spread (the 12-day moving average minus the 26-day moving average) crosses above the 9-day moving average of the spread. The index moved from negative to positive territory confirming the buy signal.
- Bank of England Minutes 1 view
- MyPoints Launches SwappableTM Mobile App to Allow Consumers to Buy, Share, Personalize and Swap Gift Cards 1 view
- US dollar: A look ahead 1 view
- Christopher Brody to Step down From Intuit Board of Directors; Richard Dalzell Nominated 1 view
- Swiss Inflation Turns Negative 1 view
- Cable Retreats on Weak Borrowing and GDP; Traders Eye Existing Home Sales 1 view
- Western Union Offers Apple PayTM as New Pay-In Option for Money Transfer Customers 1 view
- US Dollar Index Gains as Euro, Pound Edge Lower 1 view
- Draghi’s low inter rate pledge 1 view
- Micrium’s uC/Probe Bundled with Cypress PSoC 4 M-Series Pioneer Kit 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Daily Commentary – Forex Analysis 26/03/15 1 view
- Hulk Hogan(R), Chris Jericho(R), PaigeTM and Daniel Bryan(R) Headline New Season of WWE TOUGH ENOUGH(R) on USA Network Launching June 23 1 view
- NuStar Energy L.P. Announces Binding Open Season for Proposed Second South Texas Crude Oil Pipeline System Expansion Project 1 view
- Synchrony Financial and MEGA Group USA Extend Consumer Financing Agreement 1 view
- American Express Creates New Technology Hub in Silicon Valley 1 view
- EXCO Resources, Inc. Announces Credit Agreement Amendment, 2015 Capital Budget and Provides Operations and Reserves Update 1 view
- Sam’s Club to Offer LifeLock(R) Identity Theft Protection 1 view
- Euro Moves Lower on Weak Inflation Data; RSI Remains Oversold 1 view
- US dollar inches higher in light trade 1 view
- Canadian Dollar Recovers from 3-Month Low as Trade Surplus Improves 1 view