Oxygen Biotherapeutics Announces Halt of Oxycyte Phase IIb Traumatic Brain Injury Trial
Oxygen Biotherapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:OXBT) , a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing a portfolio of products for the critical care market, today announced that the Company, with unanimous approval from the Board of Directors, has elected to stop the current Phase IIb trial for its Oxycyte drug candidate and consider strategic alternatives for the program moving forward. The company will review the data generated on the patients enrolled in the trial to date.
“With the difficulties we have had enrolling patients at the current Phase IIb clinical sites for Oxycyte, the Oxygen Board of Directors and management team has decided that completing this trial in a reasonable period of time is not feasible,” said Dr. Ronald Blanck, Chairman of the Oxygen Board of Directors. “We will be considering strategic alternatives for Oxycyte moving forward.”
Oxycyte, a proprietary perfluorocarbon (PFC) therapeutic oxygen carrier, was in clinical and preclinical studies for intravenous delivery in indications such as traumatic brain injury, decompression sickness and stroke. The current Phase IIb study was evaluating the safety and tolerability of Oxycyte in patients with severe non-penetrating traumatic brain injury (STOP-TBI).
The Company will be focusing resources on its lead critical care product, levosimendan, a calcium sensitizer in Phase 3 development in the United States for the reduction of morbidity and mortality in cardiac surgery patients at risk for developing Low Cardiac Output Syndrome (LCOS).
In July 2014, Oxygen initiated a Phase 3 trial in the United States to evaluate levosimendan in cardiac surgery patients at risk of developing LCOS. The FDA has granted Fast Track status for levosimendan in this indication.
About Oxygen Biotherapeutics
Oxygen Biotherapeutics, Inc. is a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing a portfolio of products for the critical care market. The company acquired the North American rights to develop and commercialize levosimendan, and the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Fast Track status for levosimendan for the reduction of morbidity and mortality in cardiac surgery patients at risk for developing Low Cardiac Output Syndrome (LCOS). The company initiated a Phase 3 trial with levosimendan in that indication in July 2014.
Levosimendan is a calcium sensitizer developed for intravenous use in hospitalized patients with acutely decompensated heart failure. It was discovered and developed by Orion Pharma, Orion Corporation of Espoo Finland, and is currently approved in over 50 countries for this indication and not available in the United States. Oxygen Biotherapeutics acquired the North American rights to develop and commercialize levosimendan from Phyxius Pharma. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Fast Track status for levosimendan for the reduction of morbidity and mortality in cardiac surgery patients at risk for developing Low Cardiac Output Syndrome (LCOS). In addition, the FDA has agreed to the Phase 3 protocol design under Special Protocol Assessment (SPA), and provided guidance that a single successful trial will be sufficient to support approval of levosimendan in this indication.
Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This news release contains certain forward-looking statements by the company that involve risks and uncertainties and reflect the company’s judgment as of the date of this release. The forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties including, but not limited to, the timing or success of terminating the Oxycyte trial, the availability, on favorable terms or at all, of strategic alternatives to the Oxycyte program, matters beyond the company’s control that could lead to delays in the levosimendan clinical study, delays in new product introductions and customer acceptance of these new products, and other risks and uncertainties as described in the company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including in its annual report on Form 10-K filed on July 29, 2014, as well as its other filings with the SEC. The company disclaims any intent or obligation to update these forward-looking statements beyond the date of this release. Statements in this press release regarding management’s future expectations, beliefs, goals, plans or prospects constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.
- Alibaba becomes world’s biggest ever IPO 2 views
- Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund Selects Tyler Technologies to Implement the Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP Solution 2 views
- CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices Votes to Recommend Serogroup B Meningococcal Disease Vaccination for Persons at Increased Risk 1 view
- US Dollar Weakens on Dismal GDP Report 1 view
- Aussie Gains Traction After Solid Chinese Data 1 view
- Greenback Plunges as Fed Comments Weigh on Sentiment 1 view
- Aetna Completes Acquisition of bswift 1 view
- USD/CAD – it’s all about volume 1 view
- Brent Crude oil fails the 87.00 1 view
- Canadian housing starts cool in August: CMHC 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Alibaba becomes world’s biggest ever IPO 2 views
- Taste the Chill: Krispy Kreme Introduces New Frozen Lattes 1 view
- Brent Crude Oil – More downside expected 1 view
- JPMorgan Chase & Co., State and Local Leaders Join Forces to Address Homelessness in Florida 1 view
- THE JOKER and Harley Quinn Bring Havoc, Chaos, Twists and Spins as Two New Rides Open for the 2015 Season 1 view
- Aussie Approaches 0.94 US ahead of RBA Meeting Minutes 1 view
- US Dollar Pushes Higher as Yellen Weighs In 1 view
- Improvements Evident In Canadian Manufacturing 1 view
- Krispy Kreme Signs Development Agreement To Open 12 Shops in Guatemala 1 view