MEDIA ALERT: New MRV White Paper Unlocks the Evolution to Converged Packet-Optical and P-OTS 3.0
MRV Communications TM, Inc. (NASDAQ:MRVC) (“MRV(R)”), a global provider of innovative packet and optical solutions, announced today it has published a white paper, in conjunction with Heavy Reading, analyzing the evolution of intelligent metro packet-optical transport systems (P-OTS). The white paper defines market trends causing the greatest strain on the transport network and how P-OTS is rising to meet those demands. A new generation of equipment – which Heavy Reading defines as P-OTS 3.0 – will serve as a bridge to converge traditional optical and next-generation packet networks and offer new levels of scale, efficiency and flexibility as operators continue to adapt to business demands and customer requirements.
To download a full copy of the white paper, please visit: http://www.mrv.com/landing/heavy-reading-white-paper-accelerating-packet-optical-convergence-blueprint-pots-30
- P-OTS is addressing the greatest challenges impacting transport layers, including:
- IP traffic continues to outgrow operator revenue
- Continued migration from TDM/Sonet/SDH-based networks to packet-friendly networks
- Stress caused by OTT providers like Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc.
- New revenue opportunities driven by the rise of the cloud
- The evolution of P-OTS can be broken into three stages:
- P-OTS 1.0: From 2005-2010, P-OTS featured hybrid packet and optical functionalities but often with separate switching fabrics for each, 10G systems and Sonet/SDH requirements dominated purchasing decisions.
- P-OTS 2.0: During the time period of 2011-2014 the focus shifted from optical functions to packet. This phase included hybrid optical and packet fabrics, pure packet implementations of P-OTS began to ramp, and 100G entered the metro.
- P-OTS 3.0: Now P-OTS include the addition of IP/MPLS functionality to transport, packet-only or packet and optical-only transport is becoming commonplace and switched OTN has been introduced. P-OTS also features multi-layer OAM, ROADM and hybrid SDN support and coherent MSA-based 100G.
- Key architectural requirements for next-generation metro P-OTS include:
- Scalability for up to 100G
- A breadth of packet capabilities (including connectionless Carrier Ethernet, MPLS, MPLS-TP and higher layer IP/MPLS)
- DWDM and ROADM optic functionality for up to 100G
- OTN traffic grooming for transport network convergence
- Universal switching fabric for any type of TDM or packet traffic
Pull Quotes from Report:
- From Sterling Perrin, Senior Analyst, Heavy Reading:
- “Operators must migrate their transport networks from Sonet/SDH to Ethernet- and IP-friendly networks, as well as create a smooth transition-for themselves and their customers-from the legacy networks and services to the new packet-focused networks that are built for IP and Ethernet services.”
- “Heavy Reading forecasts that metro 100G line-side ports will increase at a 78 percent CAGR from 2013 to 2018-a rate faster than the long-haul 100G market. Mirroring a similar trend in long-haul, metro 40G shipments and revenue are expected to decline as operators favor the greater scalability afforded by 100G.”
- From Zeev Draer, VP, strategic marketing, MRV Communications
- “In order to address an evolving marketplace where network demands are constantly increasing, MRV continues to develop innovative platforms that offer advanced intelligence and efficiency. Our new OptiPacket(R) metro service edge platform accelerates packet-optical convergence by blending the award-winning technology and expertise of MRV’s optical and packet product families into one flexible solution. The platform is optimized for packet, optical and converged packet-optical networks, enabling service providers to achieve the high-capacity aggregation needed for seamless metro network growth.”
About MRV Communications
MRV Communications is a global provider in converged packet and optical solutions that empower the optical edge and network integration services for leading communications service providers. For more than two decades, the most demanding service providers, Fortune 1000 companies and governments worldwide have trusted MRV to provide best-in-class solutions and services for their mission-critical networks. We help our customers overcome the challenge of orchestrating the ever-increasing need for capacity while improving service delivery and lowering network costs for critical applications such as cloud connectivity, high-capacity business services, mobile backhaul and data center connectivity.
For more information please visit www.mrv.com.
Sorry. No data so far.