Walgreens Announces Developer Contest to Support Balance Rewards API
Walgreens (NYSE:WAG) (Nasdaq: WAG) is conducting a developer contest to encourage integration of its Balance(R) Rewards application program interface (API), which allows users of other apps to earn Balance Rewards loyalty program points for making healthy choices. Rewards points can be redeemed for merchandise in-store or online.
From now through November 28, third-party app developers can access contest details and submit an integrated app entry by visiting the Balance Rewards App Challenge page. Winners will be announced during the Walgreens session at the upcoming mHealth Summit 2014 in Washington D.C., December 7-11. Categories, awards and selection criteria are as follows:
- Walgreens Best Overall App Integration Award ($7,000) – The prize will be based on the quality of the app integration idea, successful integration of the Balance Rewards API and impact for app customers to lead a happy and healthy life.
- Henry Ford Health System Patient Engagement Award ($3,000) – As a supporter of the challenge, Henry Ford Health System will offer an award that is based on the potential to incent healthy patient behavior and engagement while increasing or easing the ability to manage chronic conditions. This criteria is in addition to the quality of the app integration idea and successful integration of the Balance Rewards API.
- People’s Choice for Best App Integration Award ($3,000) – Voted on by ChallengePost users and also will be based on the quality of the app integration idea, successful integration of the Balance Rewards API and impact for app customers to lead a happy and healthy life.
“Through our API developer program, we’re able to extend our loyalty program into the digital ecosystem, ultimately reaching more consumers and rewarding them for their healthy activities,” said Abhi Dhar, group vice president and chief technology officer, Digital, at Walgreens. “By developing more API offerings, we’re continuing to invest in developer relationships and see the value they deliver.”
In 2012, Walgreens launched its QuickPrints API, which enabled photo apps to provide users with the convenience of sending photos directly to Walgreens for printing. At that time, less than 1 percent of the company’s digital print business came from mobile. Today, 40 percent comes from mobile with more than 125 third-party photo app integrations.
The following year, the Prescription API was launched and allowed for seamless prescription refill and transfer capabilities for users of third-party apps. Most recently, Walgreens has launched its Balance Rewards API to extend the company’s Balance Rewards for healthy choicesTM program – the first loyalty program to offer consumers rewards for healthy choices.
Popular fitness devices and apps such as GenieMD, HoMedics, LifeTrak, Lose It!, Misfit, Nudge, Omron Fitness and RunKeeper have integrated the Balance Rewards API allowing users to automatically earn points for healthy activities like walking, running and biking.
As the nation’s largest drugstore chain with fiscal 2014 sales of $76 billion, Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) vision is to be America’s most loved pharmacy-led health, wellbeing and beauty enterprise. Each day, in communities across America, more than 8 million customers interact with Walgreens using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens scope of pharmacy services includes retail, specialty, infusion, medical facility and mail service, along with online and mobile services. These services improve health outcomes and lower costs for payers including employers, managed care organizations, health systems, pharmacy benefit managers and the public sector. The company operates 8,207 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens digital business includes Walgreens.com, drugstore.com, Beauty.com, SkinStore.com and VisionDirect.com. Walgreens also manages more than 400 Healthcare Clinic and provider practice locations around the country.
- AOL Furthers its Commitment to Investing in Women and Youth and Strengthening Local Communities with Launch of AOL Charitable Foundation 2 views
- Euro Cuts Losses as CPI Moderates at 0.5% 2 views
- EA Announces Unravel, a Beautiful Physics-Based Puzzle Platformer 1 view
- Merck Sinks on Januvia Concerns 1 view
- Bank of England leaves policy unchanged as recovery takes shape 1 view
- The Hershey Company Unwraps Dramatically Different ‘Candy Experience’ at Winn-Dixie; Invests in the Future of the Candy Aisle Beyond Center Store 1 view
- Currency Markets Await Central Bank Decisions; Aussie Breaks Higher 1 view
- Bitcoin at the centre of international drug trade 1 view
- Gold advances as risk-aversion creeps in 1 view
- Three Wells Fargo Veterans to Lead Commercial Banking in SoCal 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Euro Cuts Losses as CPI Moderates at 0.5% 2 views
- Sharp Jump In Eurozone Retail Sales 1 view
- Cracker Barrel Foundation Sponsors Military Retreat in Nashville 1 view
- Retrophin Names Margaret Valeur-Jensen, Ph.D. as General Counsel 1 view
- Bank of Canada maintains rate targets, revises growth outlook 1 view
- Christopher Brody to Step down From Intuit Board of Directors; Richard Dalzell Nominated 1 view
- Metals Break Through Support Driving Mining Stocks Lower 1 view
- Moderation In US Inflation 1 view
- Stocks tread water amid strong housing data 1 view