Alibaba Group Generated US$9.3 Billion in GMV on 11.11 Shopping Festival
Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA) today announced that US$9.3 billion, or RMB 57.1 billion, of gross merchandise volume (“GMV”) was settled through Alipay on Alibaba’s China and international retail marketplaces on November 11, 2014.1 Mobile GMV settled through Alipay accounted for 42.6% of total GMV.
“On behalf of our entire ecosystem – from millions of buyers and merchants both here and abroad – we are very happy with the results of this year’s 11.11 shopping festival,” said Jonathan Lu, CEO of Alibaba Group. “We are particularly encouraged by the growing trend of consumers embracing mobile shopping on a global stage. Alibaba is humbled to play a role in making it easy for people to do business anywhere.”
The 11.11 Shopping Festival (“11.11″) began in 2009 with 27 merchant participants as an event for Tmall.com merchants and consumers to raise awareness of the value in online shopping. This year, more than 27,000 brands and merchants participated in the event, including Costco, Muji, Desigual, ASOS, and The North Face. By expanding globally with the participation of AliExpress and Tmall Global, consumers from over 217 countries and regions were able to select from more than one million products through online storefronts and e-commerce websites.
- Total GMV settled through Alipay was US$9.3 billion (RMB 57.1 billion). In 2013, total GMV settled through Alipay on our China retail marketplaces was US$5.8 billion (RMB 36.2 billion).2
- Total GMV settled through Alipay in 2014 surpassed 2013 total GMV settled through Alipay on our China retail marketplaces by US$3.5 billion.2
- Total mobile GMV settled through Alipay was approximately US$4.0 billion (RMB 24.3 billion), or 42.6% of total GMV.
- Total GMV settled through Alipay exceeded desktop online sales from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday of 2013 (US$5.3 billion) by US$4.1 billion, or 77%.3
- At peak, 2.85 million transactions were processed per minute by Alipay.
- Buyers from 217 countries and regions participated in this year’s event.
- 278.5 million logistics orders were generated during the 2014 event.
About Alibaba Group
Alibaba Group’s mission is to make it easy to do business anywhere. The company is the largest online and mobile commerce company in the world in terms of gross merchandise volume. Founded in 1999, the company provides the fundamental technology infrastructure and marketing reach to help businesses leverage the power of the Internet to establish an online presence and conduct commerce with hundreds of millions of consumers and other businesses.
Alibaba Group’s major businesses include:
- Taobao Marketplace (www.taobao.com), China’s largest online shopping destination
- Tmall.com (www.tmall.com), China’s largest third-party platform for brands and retailers
- Juhuasuan (www.juhuasuan.com), China’s most popular online group buying marketplace
- Alitrip (www.alitrip.com), a leading online travel booking platform
- AliExpress (www.aliexpress.com), a global online marketplace for consumers to buy directly from China
- Alibaba.com (www.alibaba.com), China’s largest global online wholesale platform for small businesses
- 1688.com (www.1688.com), a leading online wholesale marketplace in China
- Alibaba Cloud Computing (www.aliyun.com), a provider of cloud computing services to businesses and entrepreneurs
Alibaba Group also provides payment and/or escrow services on its marketplaces through its contractual arrangements with Ant Financial Services Group, a related company of Alibaba Group that operates Alipay (www.alipay.com).
Through China Smart Logistics (or Zhejiang Cainiao Supply Chain Management Co., Ltd.), a 48%-owned affiliate, Alibaba Group operates a central logistics information system that connects a network of express delivery companies in China.
1 All 2014 11.11 GMV and other figures are subject to final auditing following conclusion of the event.
2 2013 GMV figures do not include international retail marketplaces.
3 comScore e-Commerce Measurement, 2013 Holiday Season Desktop e-Commerce Spending.
Sorry. No data so far.