American Express Debuts ‘Small Business Saturday Night’ – Extending the National Celebration of ‘Small Business Saturday’ from Sunset to Last-Call
American Express today announces the debut of Small Business Saturday Night. This new platform builds on the success of the national Small Business Saturday initiative and encourages consumers to support independently owned shops and restaurants after the sun goes down on November 29.
Now in its fifth year, Small Business Saturday, held every year on the Saturday following Thanksgiving, was launched by American Express in 2010 to support the small businesses that create jobs and boost the economy. And this year, the spotlight is expanding to highlight the important role all types of small businesses play in contributing to a community’s vitality – both day and night.
“Small Businesses are more than just the places we shop, dine and drink – they are the connective thread of our communities and are central characters in the American story,” said Janey Whiteside, SVP & GM of OPEN at American Express. “We have been so humbled by how quickly Americans embraced Small Business Saturday that it only made sense to extend the celebration well into the night. We hope everyone will join us in neighborhoods across the country as we support the important work of these small business owners as the sun goes down and the lights turn on.”
As part of Small Business Saturday Night, small business owners will host immersive retail and dining experiences. Apparel, accessories and home retail boutiques, as well as independently-owned restaurants will provide unique incentives for evening patrons – including in-venue entertainment, dinner and cocktail specials and shopping offers. Customers also will have the opportunity to meet and speak with shop owners to find special gifts and personal items for the holidays.
Small Business Saturday Night flagship events will kick off in Chicago’s Wicker Park, New York City’s NoLita and San Francisco’s Upper Fillmore neighborhoods. Small business owners in communities across the country still have time to participate and can learn how to create their own Night event by visiting www.shopsmall.com.
- Chicago: The Wicker Park neighborhood will feature a “Shop Small Crawl” with a special event passport that incentivizes shoppers to visit multiple stores and restaurants throughout the evening. The crawl will kick off with an artisan pop-up shop at Free Range Office and culminate at an after-party at the Jackson Junge Gallery. Along the way, patrons can stop at designer shoe store City Soles for a complimentary wine tasting and swing by The Silver Room boutique for free pampering, including massages and makeup touch-ups. The evening is being organized with help from the Wicker Park Bucktown Chamber of Commerce.
- New York City: In NoLita, the evening’s festivities and experiential narrative are being curated by Spring Street Social Society. Small businesses and restaurants like the Carson St. Clothiers, Egg Shop and Unis will be hosting shoppers with special surprise performances, DJ’s and cocktails. Global designer and local store owner Christian Siriano will also be inviting consumers inside for a unique shopping experience and celebrity spokesdog Marnie the Dog will be out shopping for the cause.
- San Francisco: The Fillmore Merchant Association is leading the evening’s efforts at stores and restaurants – from A to Z. At local clothing store, ASMBLY HALL, the owners will present an “Aloha Hawaiian Holiday” theme with special food, beverages and entertainment. And at Zinc Details furniture store, shoppers will be treated to a fashion show and wine. In addition, Elizabeth Charles, Jarbo and Spice Ace will be creating special experiential moments for consumers including specialty cocktails and salsa making demonstrations.
Community leaders, musicians and celebrities are expected to turn out in support of the event, including the evening’s hosts designer Christian Siriano and celebrity spokesdog Marnie the Dog. In addition, singer-songwriter Mary Lambert will be the artist in residence, headlining a closing event at Housing Works Bookstore in New York City to thank and toast the neighborhood’s small business owners.
“In the beginning of my career, small businesses were more than just places to shop or get coffee or have dinner – they were the stages where I had my first chance to perform in front of people,” said Mary Lambert. “I’m proud to be part of this very special campaign to celebrate and thank small business owners for being there for me and our communities.”
About Small Business Saturday
November 29th marks the fifth annual Small Business Saturday, a day dedicated to supporting the local businesses that create jobs, boost the economy and preserve neighborhoods around the country. Small Business Saturday was created by American Express in 2010 in response to small business owners’ most pressing need: more customers.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, twitter.com/americanexpress and youtube.com/americanexpress.
- Greek Current Account Deficit Widens 1 view
- UK House Prices Settle Down This Month 1 view
- Slight Drop In Japanese Inflation 1 view
- Schwab Announces Planned Launch of Schwab Intelligent Portfolios 1 view
- Western Union Holds 9th Annual Consumer Protection and Compliance Conference 1 view
- B&W Volund Consortium Awarded Contract To Build Waste-To-Energy Power Plant in Scotland 1 view
- Stocks Trade Mixed Ahead of Data and Earnings 1 view
- No Rate Moves By ECB Or Bank Of England 1 view
- Ferro Acquires Laser Marking Industry Leader TherMark 1 view
- The Federal Reserve Begins Its Two Day Meeting Today 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- US pending home sales decline sharply in October 1 view
- Semis Show Strong Seasonal Tendencies for April 1 view
- JPMorgan’s $7.2 Billion in Legal Fees Weigh on Earnings 1 view
- NTT America Builds on Strengths with New Channel Partner Program 1 view
- Cable Holds Ground Following Mixed Retail Sales Data 1 view
- Rent-A-Center Promotes Jonathan Parks to Vice President, Global Logistics and Distribution 1 view
- Dex Media and Yext Sign Agreement to Expand Small Business Internet Marketing Offerings 1 view
- Canadian housing starts rise in July 1 view
- Echelon Expands its IzoT Platform for the IIoT to Enable Multiprotocol Wired and Wireless Building Automation Systems 1 view
- US Groundbreaking, Building Permits Plunge in January 1 view