First Look in the “Second City”: The Refreshed 2016 Toyota Avalon Premium Mid-Size Sedan
Call it a trio of firsts in the Second City as the refreshed Toyota Avalon and sporty Camry and Corolla Special Editions made their world debuts at the 2015 Chicago Auto Show. The three models rode into Chicago with a head of steam as the Avalon, Camry and Corolla are each the sales leaders in their respective segments, a first for Toyota. All three vehicles are 2016 models and will go on sale later this fall.
Refreshed 2016 Avalon
Unveiled as all-new in 2012, the fourth-generation Avalon was the first vehicle to meet Toyota President Akio Toyoda’s challenge to create cars that spark people’s emotions. Toyota mixed its legendary Quality, Durability and Reliability (QDR) with a strong dose of emotion through fresh new styling, improved performance, and high-tech features. They proved to be winning ingredients as Avalon quickly grabbed the attention of mid-size premium car buyers in segment leading numbers.
Five distinct grades on the V6 models will give customers a wide array of choice (XLE, XLE Plus, XLE Premium, Limited and Touring). Hybrid customers can choose from three separate grades, adding luxury features and technology options as they move up the chain from XLE Plus to XLE Premium and Limited.
Two unique suspension systems were developed for the 2016 Avalon to better align with diverse customer preferences. One retuned suspension prioritizes a comfortable ride for the XLE through Limited grades. The other, provides a more dynamic and responsive driving experience for the Touring grade. Both of these suspension tunings are new and represent significant improvements over the current production Avalon.
The refreshed 2016 Avalon adds more refinement with an array of styling, performance and technology enhancements. New features on all Avalon grades will include:
- Wider lower front grille with narrow upper grille design
- Newly-designed turn signals (replacing fog lights)
- Refined LED taillights
- Chrome rear bumper accent
- New gray accent stitching with light gray interior
Additional new standard features on the XLE and XLE Plus grades include:
- Redesigned 17-inch alloy wheels
- 7-inch Entune Audio Plus screen
- Premium woodgrain dash ornamentation
- Tire-specific Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Technology upgrades are added to the Avalon XLE Premium grade as it receives EntuneTM Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite and the Qi Wireless Charging as standard equipment.
The performance-tuned Avalon Touring grade adds to its sporty styling with new standard features that include:
- Redesigned 18-inch dark gray painted alloy wheels
- New sporty front fascia
- New LED headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Unique “Touring” badge
The top-of-the-line Avalon Limited rounds out the updates with the addition of new 18-inch alloy Super Chrome wheels on gas models, and new 17-inch alloy Super Chrome wheels on the Limited hybrid (also optional on gas Limited). The Limited adds optional advanced safety features including automatic high beam headlights, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System, and Lane Departure Alert.
Camry Special Edition
When redesigning the Camry for 2015, Toyota went bumper to bumper and floor to roof, changing or re-engineering nearly 2,000 parts. Only the roof remained unchanged, and it capped off the boldest Camry ever. Now, only one year after this major redesign, America’s best-selling car will offer the 2016 Camry Special Edition for owners looking for an extra dose of both aggressiveness and technology. Based on the youthful Camry SE, the limited production Camry will add sporty interior and exterior features. In addition to features found on the Camry SE, standard equipment on the Special Edition will include:
- Unique 18-inch alloy wheels with machined face contrasted with gloss black painted accents
- Power tilt/slide moonroof
- Smoked tail lamp treatment
- High contrast blue stitching on the seats, shift boot and dash
- Exclusive sport appearance seats trimmed with black SofTex(R) bolsters and blue patterned inserts
- Sport meter cluster with blue details and white background
- Entune Audio Plus
- Available Entune Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite
- Smart Key with pushbutton start
- Qi Wireless Charging
- Two exterior colors: Blizzard Pearl and new Blue Streak Metallic
- Floor mats with logo and unique exterior badge
The Camry Special Edition will be powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. Like all Toyota vehicles, the Camry Special Edition will come standard with the Star Safety System.
Production of the Camry Special Edition will be limited to approximately 12,000 units and will run from August 2015 to January 2016.
Corolla Special Edition
The iconic Toyota Corolla is the world’s best-selling name plate of all-time with over 40 million sold since 1966. With its all-new 11th generation introduced in 2014, the current Corolla is the roomiest and most fuel-efficient ever.
Corolla will add more driving excitement with the launch of the 2016 Corolla Special Edition. Sporty styling features, inside and out, complement a spirited driving experience made possible with steering wheel paddle shifters, rear disc brakes and Sport Driving Mode along with an array of additional standard features.
Based on the sporty Corolla S Plus grade, the 2016 Corolla Special Edition will turn heads as it adds:
- Unique 17-inch alloy wheels with gloss black finish
- Black mixed media seats with red contrast stitching
- Red accented dash and door trim
- Smart Key System with pushbutton start
- Three colors: exclusive Absolutely Red, Black Sand Pearl and Super White
- Special Edition floor mats with logo and unique exterior badge
Toyota’s EntuneTM Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite and power tilt/slide moonroof will be available as options.
The Corolla Special Edition will be produced between August and December 2015 and will be limited to 8,000 units.
NOTE TO EDITORS: Photos and video to accompany this story are available and can be retrieved in digital form by media without charge at http://www.toyotanewsroom.com.
Sorry. No data so far.