Juniper Networks and Canonical Partner to Deliver OpenStack-Based Cloud Solutions for the Telecommunications Industry
Juniper Networks (NYSE:JNPR) , the industry leader in network innovation, and Canonical, the leading provider of services for Ubuntu deployments in the enterprise, today announced an expansion of their global partnership with a co-developed carrier-grade, OpenStack software solution that will enable service providers to virtualize core networks and network functions for increased performance, scale and reliability. Juniper will also provide complete service support for Canonical’s Ubuntu Server operating system (OS) and Ubuntu OpenStack as part of Juniper Networks(R) ContrailTM Cloud.
Service providers are working to profitably address growing end-user demand for data capacity while more quickly delivering new, innovative services to subscribers. To accomplish this, carriers are continually looking to cloud platforms to make their infrastructure more agile and automated to support these goals. By combining Juniper Networks’ expertise in cloud network offerings for telecommunications customers with Canonical’s OpenStack and open source leadership, Canonical and Juniper are providing open, scalable, cost-effective, and carrier-grade cloud solutions on which carriers can build a virtualized IP platform and support network functions virtualization (NFV).
OpenStack has emerged as a preferred open-source cloud management platform based on its openness, interoperability, flexibility and large highly active community of users, developers and vendors. It has also established itself as the platform of choice for NFV workloads. According to the most recent OpenStack Foundation global survey, Ubuntu is the most popular host and guest operating system for OpenStack, with more than half of all OpenStack instances running Ubuntu, and 70 percent of the Public Cloud Guest operating system market.
Contrail Networking’s connection with Ubuntu Server OS and Ubuntu OpenStack as the default platform for cloud deployments began with Juniper Networks and the OpenContrail project participating in Canonical’s OpenStack Interoperability Lab (OIL), an integration lab in which Canonical tests its cloud partners’ products in Ubuntu OpenStack configurations, for automated testing of Contrail with Ubuntu OpenStack. The addition of the joint carrier-grade OpenStack solution will leverage and expand on OIL to provide enhanced testing to ensure the solution meets the demanding needs of carriers.
- Juniper Networks and Canonical have developed Contrail Cloud Platform, a joint carrier-grade OpenStack solution for cloud and converged NFV infrastructure that now integrates Contrail Networking with Canonical’s Ubuntu OpenStack and Ubuntu Server OS for enhanced performance, scale and reliability.
- Juniper Networks is selling and fully supporting Contrail Cloud Platform deployments in coordination with Canonical support for all Ubuntu OS and Ubuntu OpenStack components.
- Juniper Networks and Canonical will collaborate and coordinate product development, engineering, marketing and upstream contributions to continue to expand an open and functioning OpenStack ecosystem for service providers to deliver cloud and NFV solutions.
- As part of the joint agreement, Juniper Networks and Canonical will work with customers to incorporate service provider requirements into OpenStack, NFV and SDN open source projects.
- Juniper Networks continues to participate in Canonical’s OIL with Contrail for automated testing against Ubuntu OpenStack.
“Juniper Networks firmly believes that open source and open standards will continue to drive greater levels of innovation and is pleased to partner with Canonical to help drive faster adoption of the cloud for telecommunication organizations. Our jointly developed converged Ubuntu and Juniper OpenStack solution will help deliver greater performance, scalability and reliability at lower costs.”
- Ankur Singla, corporate vice president and general manager, cloud software, Juniper Networks
“Juniper and Canonical are leading the OpenStack innovation agenda by jointly developing a virtualization solution that will help service providers accelerate cloud deployments for greater agility. Juniper’s Contrail addresses the carrier-class issues of virtualized environments and accelerates elastic service delivery across multi-tenant, hybrid cloud OpenStack deployments across a multi-vendor ecosystem. By combining Juniper’s open network solutions and leadership in the telecommunications industry with Canonical’s leadership in OpenStack and scale-out open source, we will jointly be able to deliver cloud solutions that enable carriers to meet their network modernization challenges.”
- John Zannos, vice president, cloud channels and alliances, Canonical
“OpenStack networking is a critical issue for large enterprises and service providers to solve, particularly in higher-level areas such as network functions virtualization (NFV), agility and automation. Joint support from Canonical and Juniper and both companies’ participation in the OpenStack Interoperability Lab (OIL) helps to meet the performance, scale, reliability and security needs of carrier-grade customers.”
- Jay Lyman, research manager, 451 Research
“Wingu is a key African public cloud service provider that is launching commercial Infrastructure-as-a-Service services later this year to address the challenges that businesses face when deploying applications and workloads in the cloud. With XON as its strategic investor and Juniper Networks as a valued partner, the Wingu platform will be used to develop advanced SDN and NFV solutions. This latest technology integration between Canonical and Juniper provides a stable, scalable and agile platform for Wingu to deliver cloud services, allowing them to leverage the best open source and commercial platforms and expertise.”
- Thomas Lee, general manager, Cloud Services at XON Systems
- Juniper Networks Contrail: http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/sdn/contrail/
- Juniper.net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
Ubuntu introduces a new mobile experience for phone users, a smarter ecosystem dynamic for developers, and unprecedented differentiation opportunities for carriers and device manufacturers. Ubuntu ships on millions of PCs annually, aimed at education, government and enterprise markets. Ubuntu also enables next-generation devices at the heart of the internet of things.
Ubuntu is used in 80% of production OpenStack cloud deployments worldwide. Canonical’s scale-out expertise and orchestration technology enable software-defined-networks and storage, providing the platform of choice for network equipment providers and operators.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE:JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks’ innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
Sorry. No data so far.