Discover’s Pathway to Financial Success Grants Are Making a Positive Impact One Classroom at a Time
In celebration of National Financial Literacy Month, Pathway to Financial Success has awarded over 200 financial education grants totaling nearly $1.5 million to public high schools across the country so far this year. The latest round of grant recipients includes Davenport Community School District in Iowa and Sussex Central High School in Georgetown, Delaware; and will be used to cover the cost of implementing financial education curriculum, and technology.
Discover Financial Services is committed to helping people spend smarter, manage debt better, and save more so that they can achieve a brighter financial future. As an extension to the company’s mission, Discover developed Pathway to Financial Success, a five-year, commitment to bring financial education curriculum into public high schools across the country.
Now in its fourth year, Pathway to Financial Success is continuing to make a positive impact for more than 1,000 schools and districts, awarding over $9 million in grant money. As a result of these grants, financial literacy test scores improved an average of 24 percent – equivalent to two letter grades – at many of these schools. In addition, there is promising research from the Center for Financial Security at the University of Wisconsin that indicates a direct tie between personal finance classes in high school and higher credit scores as young adults.
“Ultimately, we’d like to see financial literacy taught in every U.S. high school,” said David Nelms, chairman and chief executive officer of Discover. “Young adults who are financially literate manage their money better, which helps prepare them for a brighter financial future.”
“In this day and age, financial education is vital to the success of our future adults,” said Eileen McAnulla, a social studies teacher at Sussex Central High School who applied for and received Discover’s grant. “Many of our students come from homes that are financially stressed. The most effective way to turn that trend around is to teach them the necessary skills to successfully navigate the financial systems and make the most of their personal resources.”
Pathway to Financial Success grants have reached more than a half million students giving them the financial education tools and resources they need to spend smarter, manage debt better, and save more so that they can achieve a brighter financial future.
To learn more about the program, please visit Pathwaytofinancialsuccess.org.
Discover Financial Services (NYSE:DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America’s cash rewards pioneer, and offers home loans, private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit and money market accounts through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation’s leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in more than 185 countries and territories. For more information, visit www.discover.com/company.
- US dollar hits monthly low on Fed speculation 1 view
- Gold Miners Gain Traction Against the Yellow Metal 1 view
- Polish Buses Offer On-Board Self-Ticketing with Verifone NFC Payment Devices 1 view
- Stocks are Buoyed by Robust Retail Sales 1 view
- China Takes Mantel as Largest African Sweet Crude Oil Importer 1 view
- Polish Industrial Production Recovers 1 view
- Unemployment benefit claims fall to five-year lows 1 view
- American Campus Communities Wins Eight INNOVATOR Awards at Student Housing Business’ Interface Conference 1 view
- Asian Stocks Decline; But Not From Chinese Inflation Data 1 view
- Stock rally cut short as partial government shutdown enters its second day 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Canadian Dollar Rebounds as Trade Balance Improves 1 view
- Crude declines on Syria weapons deal 1 view
- US Dollar Weakens on Dismal GDP Report 1 view
- Nuance Plunges, Icahn Grunges 1 view
- PBTEEN UNVEILS ECO-CONSCIOUS CAPSULE COLLECTION WITH WORLD CHAMPION SURFER KELLY SLATER 1 view
- US Consumer Sentiment Declines in March: Reuters/University of Michigan 1 view
- EUR/USD at Risk 1 view
- FDA Approves Jakafi(R) (ruxolitinib) for the Treatment of Patients with Uncontrolled Polycythemia Vera 1 view
- Fluor’s Peter Oosterveer Elected to Board of U.S.-China Business Council 1 view
- Stocks Notch Up Losses for a Third Consecutive Session 1 view