CEMEX Helps Build Resilient and Sustainable Urban Communities
CEMEX, S.A.B. de C.V. (“CEMEX”) (NYSE:CX) announced significant progress in its offer of products and solutions to support the construction of resilient and sustainable urban communities. The company provided urban solutions, building materials, services and expertise that met the most demanding standards of construction and sustainability performance.
During 2014, CEMEX evolved its sustainability approach to ensure its commitments are integrated in the business strategy and its daily activities around the world. The company has also created a Sustainability Committee reporting directly to the Board of Directors to guide its sustainability strategy and efforts.
CEMEX is communicating its achievements through the release of its 2014 Sustainable Development Report “Building Resilient and Sustainable Urban Communities.”
“The 2014 report focuses on one of the most significant trends facing the world today — the increasing challenge of urbanization and the need to invest in resilient infrastructure and resource-efficient buildings, and affordable housing, while mitigating the effects of climate change,” said Fernando A. Gonzalez, Chief Executive Officer of CEMEX. “At CEMEX, we make every effort to support the development needs of society in a resource-constrained world — enhancing our products, optimizing our environmental footprint and contributing to the quality of life of the communities in which we operate.”
Some important achievements during 2014 include:
- Completed almost 600 infrastructure projects that required more than 8 million square meters of concrete pavement in 14 countries, including highways, mass transit projects, airport runways and city streets.
- Contributed to the construction of 3,150 affordable and resource efficient units in 12 countries, representing more than 180,000 square meters of construction.
- Since 1998, CEMEX’s high impact social initiatives have benefited almost 7 million people, including 550,000 families that have joined the social and inclusive business opportunities such as Patrimonio Hoy, Productive Centers of Self-Employment (PCS) and Construapoyo.
- Led the industry in the use of alternative fuels, transforming agricultural, industrial, and municipal waste into fuel for cement kilns. In 2014, CEMEX achieved close to 28% alternative fuel substitution.
- Avoided emissions of over 8 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, equivalent to the yearly average emissions from 1.5 million cars.
- Reduced Lost Time Injury (LTI) Rate by 33% for employees and 23% for contractors compared to 2013.
The report includes an external limited assurance statement by PricewaterhouseCoopers for the ninth consecutive year, as well as a statement from the company’s Sustainability Reporting Advisory Panel.
To better align its report with stakeholders’ main interests, CEMEX prepared its 2014 Sustainable Development Report using the GRI-G4 Guidelines, opting for the “in accordance” Comprehensive option, and requesting the Global Reporting Initiative to conduct the Materiality Disclosures Service.
In order to facilitate analysts’ access to all relevant information, CEMEX included a special website section called ESG Analyst and SRI Center. The section provides direct links to key information such as SDR, GRI Index, UNGC COP, policies, position papers and more.
If you want to know more about CEMEX’s sustainability strategy and achievements, please review CEMEX’s 2014 Sustainable Development Report, available online at: http://www.cemex.com/SustainableDevelopment/GlobalReports.aspx
CEMEX is a global building materials company that provides high-quality products and reliable service to customers and communities in more than 50 countries. CEMEX has a rich history of improving the well-being of those it serves through innovative building solutions, efficiency advancements, and efforts to promote a sustainable future.
For more information, please visit: www.cemex.com
CEMEX assumes no obligation to update or correct the information contained in this press release. CEMEX is not responsible for the content of any third-party website or webpage referenced to or accessible through this press release.
Sorry. No data so far.