United Kingdom BBA Mortgage Approvals
The GBP/USD continued to gain a foothold after holding support levels as the U.K. government borrowing data and sub-forecast BBA mortgage data had little impact on the currency pair. In the wake of last week's Scotland's "No" to independence vote markets are now re-focused on U.K. fundamentals, which is characterized by benign inflation and wage data that is leaving the BoE with a wait and see policy stance.
U.K. BBA mortgage approvals came in below forecasts at 41.6k, ebbing from 42.7k in the previous month. The median expectation had been for a 42.9k outcome. The BBA data has been trending downwards since peaking at 50.k in January. The decline in approvals reflects high property prices and the impact of the Mortgage Market Review in April, which has pushed up mortgage lending rates. The BoE also implement earlier in the year a cap on loan-to-income ratios.
U.K. government borrowing continued to worsen in August. The data for net borrowing totaled 11.6 billion, up 6.1% year over year, near the survey median forecast. The government is falling behind its target to reduce borrowing by 10% in 2014-15, partly due to sluggish growth in income tax receipts and social security payments, which rose just 1.6% year over year in August, reflecting anemic wage growth despite an improving job market.
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Spanish Retail Sales Numbers Improve 6 views
- Synchrony Financial and Pep Boys Extend Consumer Financing Program 3 views
- Ethisphere Names The Principal One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies 3 views
- Appalachian Mountain Brewery Enters Distribution Agreement with Craft Brew Alliance 2 views
- Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Reports Strong Product Sales for the Third Quarter 2014; Sales of $47.9 Million up 15.6% Over Last Year 2 views
- Health Canada Issues Notice of Compliance for Gilead’s HarvoniTM (Ledipasvir/Sofosbuvir), the First Once-Daily Single Tablet Regimen for the Treatment of Genotype 1 Chronic Hepatitis C 2 views
- Canadian Stocks Break Out to All-time Highs 2 views
- Silver follows gold higher 2 views
- FOREX Watch: USD/JPY hits six-week lows 1 view
- Detroit: America’s comeback city? 1 view