United Kingdom BBA Mortgage Approvals
The GBP/USD continued to gain a foothold after holding support levels as the U.K. government borrowing data and sub-forecast BBA mortgage data had little impact on the currency pair. In the wake of last week's Scotland's "No" to independence vote markets are now re-focused on U.K. fundamentals, which is characterized by benign inflation and wage data that is leaving the BoE with a wait and see policy stance.
U.K. BBA mortgage approvals came in below forecasts at 41.6k, ebbing from 42.7k in the previous month. The median expectation had been for a 42.9k outcome. The BBA data has been trending downwards since peaking at 50.k in January. The decline in approvals reflects high property prices and the impact of the Mortgage Market Review in April, which has pushed up mortgage lending rates. The BoE also implement earlier in the year a cap on loan-to-income ratios.
U.K. government borrowing continued to worsen in August. The data for net borrowing totaled 11.6 billion, up 6.1% year over year, near the survey median forecast. The government is falling behind its target to reduce borrowing by 10% in 2014-15, partly due to sluggish growth in income tax receipts and social security payments, which rose just 1.6% year over year in August, reflecting anemic wage growth despite an improving job market.
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Judge Rhodes grants Detroit Chapter 9 protection 39 views
- Dicerna Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Reports Inducement Grants Under NASDAQ Listing Rule 5635(c)(4) 2 views
- INVESTOR ALERT: The Law Offices of Vincent Wong Investigates the Board of Directors of Dresser-Rand Group Inc. Regarding the Fairness of the Sale of the Company to Siemens AG 2 views
- Zoetis to Participate in the 33rd Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference 2 views
- Zoetis to Participate in Piper Jaffray 26th Annual Healthcare Conference 2 views
- Eurozone PPI Numbers Gradually Improving 2 views
- Nordson MARCH Demonstrates FlexTRAK-CD Plasma System for Lead Frame and Strip-type Electronic Components at NEPCON Japan in East Hall 2, Booths 12-20 1 view
- hi HealthInnovations’ Hearing Test Kit For Primary Care Physicians Receives U.S. Patent 1 view
- Priceline.com Rockets Higher 1 view
- Disney Announces Donation of $55 Million in Learning Apps and Books at White House Summit on Early Education 1 view