GBP/USD Strengthens as BOE Maintains Rates
The British pound rose Thursday, as the Monetary Policy Committee opted once again to leave interest rates at historic lows.
The February rate decision marked the fifth consecutive year the benchmark lending rate was left at 0.5 percent. Bank of England policymakers also decided to maintain the level of quantitative easing at £375 billion.
Today’s rate decision is expected to be the last under the auspices of the BOE’s guidance strategy. The rate guidance, which pledged the BOE would not even consider raising interest rates until unemployment had fallen to 7 percent, has harmed the central bank’s credibility, according to several market voices. With UK unemployment at 7.1 percent, the central bank has indicated no plans to tweak interest rates. The BOE is expected to make adjustments to its guidance outlook next week.
In currency news, the British pound strengthened against the US dollar. The GBPUSD pair rose more than 20 pips to 1.6330, where it now sits as of 19:00 GMT. Technical support is ascending at 1.6155, 1.6196 and 1.6237. On the upside, the pair’s next test is 1.6368.
The pound was weaker versus the euro, after the European Central Bank opted to hold interest rates at 0.25 percent. The ECB has been under pressure to respond to weak inflation growth in the Eurozone. Consumer inflation in the currency region unexpectedly fell back to 0.7 percent last month. The EURGBP pair rose to a session high of 0.8350 in Europe before consolidating at 0.8351 at 19:00 GMT.
- Unilever Acquires Talenti(R) Gelato & Sorbetto 1 view
- Rate Rise In South Africa 1 view
- Data from Three Abstracts Validating Potential of BIND Therapeutics’ AccurinsTM to be Presented at American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 1 view
- Daily Commentary 14/01/2015 1 view
- US pending home sales decline sharply in October 1 view
- A Widening of the Yield Curve should Help Banks 1 view
- Western Union Offers Apple PayTM as New Pay-In Option for Money Transfer Customers 1 view
- Daily Commentary 20/01/2015 1 view
- Stocks Hold Steady After Yellen Nominated as Fed Chair 1 view
- A High Impact News Week 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Aliyun Announces Global Partnership Program to Boost Public Cloud Services Worldwide 1 view
- Canadian Dollar Sinks to 1-month Low amid BOC Rate Decision 1 view
- USDX: Consumer confidence helps dollar pare losses as Fed decision looms 1 view
- Government shutdown prompts trepidation to the capital markets 1 view
- Trading Outlook – GBP/CAD 1 view
- Enlighten 3 with Forge puts Greater Control of Dynamic Lighting in the Hands of Artists 1 view
- 3 December Forex daily review 1 view
- Stocks flat, US Dollar declines following FOMC minutes 1 view
- Canadian dollar holds ground despite weak retail sales data 1 view
- INVESTOR ALERT: Investigation of 21Vianet Group, Inc. Announced by Glancy Binkow & Goldberg LLP 1 view