GBP/USD Hits 2-Week High on BOE Report
The British pound surged to a two-week high versus the dollar amid signs the Bank of England will raise interest rates as early as next year.
The GBPUSD currency pair rose for the third consecutive day, setting a fresh two-week high on a gain of 135 pips. As of 18:45 GMT, the GBPUSD was trading at 1.6584, having surpassed two technical barriers (1.6520 and 1.6561). The next resistance is located at 1.6602. On the downside, technical support is ascending at 1.6339, 1.6380 and 1.6421.
The pair has gained more than 1.5 percent since Friday, as the forex market sizes recovery trends on both sides of the Atlantic. The US labour market added 113,000 jobs last month, well below forecasts. In the UK, meanwhile, labour market prospects will continue to brighten according to the Bank of England, which announced today it believes the unemployment rate will fall to its target threshold by the spring.
UK recovery is expected to broaden this year, the central bank reported today. The BOE unexpectedly raised its economic outlook this year from 2.8 percent to 3.4 percent, as target inflation, good credit conditions and accommodative policy continue to drive UK recovery.
In other trading, the EURGBP pair fell nearly 100 pips to 0.8198, as weaker than forecast Eurozone industrial production weighed on the euro. Industrial output in the euro area fell 0.7 percent in December, official data from the European Commission showed today. Economists forecast a narrower drop in the vicinity of 0.3 percent. Compared to year-ago levels, output rose only 0.5 percent in December, well below forecasts calling for 1.8 percent.
- USD/CAD – it’s all about volume 1 view
- Asian Stocks Decline; But Not From Chinese Inflation Data 1 view
- Stock rally cut short as partial government shutdown enters its second day 1 view
- US industrial production rebounds in May 1 view
- V”arde Partners, KKR and Deutsche Bank Consortium Purchase GE Capital’s Consumer Finance Business in Australia and New Zealand 1 view
- Canadian Dollar Rebounds as Trade Balance Improves 1 view
- Crude declines on Syria weapons deal 1 view
- US Dollar Weakens on Dismal GDP Report 1 view
- Nuance Plunges, Icahn Grunges 1 view
- PBTEEN UNVEILS ECO-CONSCIOUS CAPSULE COLLECTION WITH WORLD CHAMPION SURFER KELLY SLATER 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- DCT Industrial Trust(R) to Present at Citi 2015 Global Property CEO Conference 1 view
- Oil breaks through a key level 1 view
- Intraday Comment 22/01/2015 1 view
- Care.com & Yahoo Parenting Happiness Survey Reveals People Without Kids Are Happier Than Parents; Yet, More Than Half of Them Think They’d Be Happier as Parents. Plus, a Majority of Parents Feel Happier Now That They Have Children. 1 view
- Green Dot’s GoBank Checking Account Launches Exclusively at Walmart 1 view
- US, global stocks rise amid revised IMF forecast 1 view
- Aussie Edges Lower as Yuan Declines 1 view
- The Pound moves toward support levels 1 view
- US dollar hits monthly low on Fed speculation 1 view
- Gold Miners Gain Traction Against the Yellow Metal 1 view