Sterling rallies after dovish BoE statement
The Bank of England shook up the capital markets with forward guidance from their interest rate meeting that surprised market participants. Sterling gyrated post the announcement, moving lower by more than a big figure before rebounding nearly 2.5 big figures on heavy volume.
The Bank of England’s forward guidance reflected the sentiment and craftiness of new head Mark Carney. The BOE effectively signaled that rates would remain low for the foreseeable future and tied to unemployment. The new guidance would keep interest rates at their current levels, along with the MPC bond purchase program until unemployment fell below 7%.
The BoE said that believe rates would remain at current levels until at least the third quarter of 2016. The BOE also left the door open to resuming gilt purchases, and potentially adding to those purchases to stimulate growth.
The BOE’s inflation forecast was reduced with the consumer price index hitting its nadir in the fourth quarter of 2013 at 2.9%. It forecasts GDP to grow 0.6% in 2013 and 2.6% over the next two years, up from 2.2%. Given BOE forecasts, which show the unemployment rate is more likely than not to be above 7% until 2016, the guidance now suggests no tightening in policy for the next 2½ years. The official unemployment rate was 7.8% in the three months to May.
Sterling broke above resistance near the 1.5435 level and is poised to test the June highs near 1.57. Momentum is positive with an upward sloping trajectory, after generating a buy signal in early August. This occurs when the spread (the 12-day moving average minus the 26-day moving average) crosses above the 9-day moving average of the spread. The RSI is edging higher and printing at 59 which is the upper end of the neutral range.
- Softness Evident In US Manufacturing 1 view
- Detroit pensioners helped bankrupt the city: report 1 view
- Dow Surges Ahead of Fed Decision 1 view
- Rate Rise In South Africa 1 view
- Data from Three Abstracts Validating Potential of BIND Therapeutics’ AccurinsTM to be Presented at American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 1 view
- Daily Commentary 14/01/2015 1 view
- Cabot Norit Activated Carbon Awarded Two New Contracts for Mercury Removal 1 view
- A Widening of the Yield Curve should Help Banks 1 view
- Western Union Offers Apple PayTM as New Pay-In Option for Money Transfer Customers 1 view
- Daily Commentary 20/01/2015 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Aliyun Announces Global Partnership Program to Boost Public Cloud Services Worldwide 1 view
- Canadian Dollar Sinks to 1-month Low amid BOC Rate Decision 1 view
- USDX: Consumer confidence helps dollar pare losses as Fed decision looms 1 view
- Bidgely and ComEd to Deploy Real-Time Energy Disaggregation in Northern Illinois 1 view
- Government shutdown prompts trepidation to the capital markets 1 view
- Trading Outlook – GBP/CAD 1 view
- Enlighten 3 with Forge puts Greater Control of Dynamic Lighting in the Hands of Artists 1 view
- GBPUSD Weighed Down By Increasing UK Deficit 1 view
- Stocks flat, US Dollar declines following FOMC minutes 1 view
- Canadian dollar holds ground despite weak retail sales data 1 view