Breaking News: Target Data Keys Potentially Compromised
Shares of Target (NYSE:TGT) were sent lower on Friday following even more headlines stemming from the holiday data breach. The nation’s second largest retailer confirmed on Friday that the “strongly encrypted pin data” was stolen as part of a recent data breach that affected millions.
The news of even more possible data risk did not fair well in the financial world. A number of banks issued more customer statements following the most recent update. Consumers are encouraged to check their statements on a daily basis to best protect themselves from account loss. Some financial institutions are requiring customers to claim a newly issued debit card to avoid potential problems down the road.
Still, Target officials said the “key” necessary to decrypt data is not within its system and could not have been taken during breach. The company would issue this statement to explain their view of the situation:
“We remain confident that PIN numbers are safe and secure. The PIN information was fully encrypted at the keypad, remained encrypted within our system, and remained encrypted when it was removed from our systems,”
Well, if the hackers were powerful enough to gain access to the data in the first place, wouldn’t it be safe to assume they are smart enough to have the key to access their newly acquired data. Should the attackers be successful in accessing the data, they would likely attempt to sell this data online on black market websites. Consequently, the buyers of the data would work to take advantage of bank account information.
At the time of this writing, shares of the company closed the week at $62.15. Shares slide for the majority of the day, down 0.53 percent on the close.
- Loonie Poised to Gain Ground on Strong Employment Report 1 view
- US Housing Data Steps into the Spotlight 1 view
- Movado Group, Inc. to Present at the Telsey Advisory Group 5th Annual Fall Consumer Conference 1 view
- CHARTS OF THE DAY 1 view
- American Water’s Customer Account Management Website, My H2O Online, Goes Mobile 1 view
- US stocks rise as signs of prolonged stimulus emerge 1 view
- Netflix tops S&P 500 in 2013, investors eye earnings report 1 view
- Strong GDP Growth From Ireland 1 view
- BIND Therapeutics Appoints Hagop Youssoufian, M.Sc., M.D. as Chief Medical Officer 1 view
- American manufacturers outpace expectations: ISM 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- FOREX Watch: US dollar breaks sticking point 1 view
- US Dollar Edges Higher on ADP Employment Report 1 view
- Fedex & UPS Scramble Amid Media Fire 1 view
- Stocks close mixed despite strong economic data 1 view
- US Demand, Global Prospects to Boost Canada’s Economy in 2014 1 view
- Alliance Healthcare Services Establishes Partnership with The Pain Center of Arizona 1 view
- Eurozone Retail Sector Under Pressure 1 view
- Spanish Inflation Falls Back To Zero 1 view
- Vernalis, all eyes on the new cough/cold drug 1 view
- Lululemon Tanks on Guidance Woes 1 view