Crude Oil has suffered in 2014
The new year started with a thump as commodity investors faced the wrath of pent up selling pressure that was ignited by traders who were looking to take profit, but did not want to book their gains in 2014. Tightening interest rate conditions, along with robust crude oil inventories are likely to keep petroleum prices under pressure during the first month of the New Year.
Inventory levels of crude are declining rapidly. U.S. commercial crude oil inventories decreased by 7.0 million barrels from the previous week. At 360.6 million barrels, U.S. crude oil inventories are above the upper limit of the average range for this time of year. Gasoline inventories increased by 0.8 million barrels last week, and are in the upper half of the average range. Distillate fuel inventories increased by 5.0 million barrels last week but are below the lower limit of the average range for this time of year.
Demand has also picked up. Over the last four weeks, motor gasoline demand averaged about 8.9 million barrels per day, up by 3.5% from the same period last year. Distillate fuel demand averaged over 3.7 million barrels per day over the last four weeks, up by 1.3% from the same period last year.
The technical damage to crude oil has been nasty. Prices sliced through support near the 20-day moving average which is now considered resistance near 98.11. The first target for support is seen near an upward sloping trend line that connects the lows in April to the lows in November coming in near $93.40. The next level of support following the trend line is seen near 92.00.
The trend has turned negative as the 50-day moving average has of crude prices has crossed below the 200-day moving average which is known as the “death cross”.
- PBTEEN UNVEILS ECO-CONSCIOUS CAPSULE COLLECTION WITH WORLD CHAMPION SURFER KELLY SLATER 1 view
- Stocks flat, US Dollar declines following FOMC minutes 1 view
- Canadian dollar holds ground despite weak retail sales data 1 view
- Dow Surges Ahead of Fed Decision 1 view
- Softness Evident In US Manufacturing 1 view
- Detroit pensioners helped bankrupt the city: report 1 view
- Cabot Norit Activated Carbon Awarded Two New Contracts for Mercury Removal 1 view
- Rate Rise In South Africa 1 view
- Data from Three Abstracts Validating Potential of BIND Therapeutics’ AccurinsTM to be Presented at American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 1 view
- Daily Commentary 14/01/2015 1 view
|Forex Broker Spreads »|
|Most Popular Articles »|
- Dex Media and Yext Sign Agreement to Expand Small Business Internet Marketing Offerings 1 view
- Berry Genomics NextSeq CN500 Instrument and Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing Reagent Kit Receives Chinese FDA Premarket Clearance 1 view
- FOREX Watch: Global safe havens hold gains amid data 1 view
- Prudential Real Estate Investors Acquires 75 Percent Stake in Bella Terra Shopping Center in Huntington Beach, Calif. 1 view
- Aliyun Announces Global Partnership Program to Boost Public Cloud Services Worldwide 1 view
- Canadian Dollar Sinks to 1-month Low amid BOC Rate Decision 1 view
- USDX: Consumer confidence helps dollar pare losses as Fed decision looms 1 view
- Bidgely and ComEd to Deploy Real-Time Energy Disaggregation in Northern Illinois 1 view
- Government shutdown prompts trepidation to the capital markets 1 view
- Trading Outlook – GBP/CAD 1 view